|An example of a past Australian campaign against conscription|
1. It sets Singapore males back economically for 24 months (2 years) in the workforce.
- That is equivalent to about 4 twice annual promotion reviews, or 2 annual promotion reviews.
- In the private sector, promotion reviews are critical. Citizens from India and China are far more advanced in their careers than Singapore males because of this 2 year disadvantage in the rat-race.
- In a global marketplace for work, this is an extreme setback.
- Military service should be voluntary. If I want to fight for my country, I fight because I want to. If you force me to fight, it means I do not like the country and frankly want to immigrate.
- If you chain a person to a duty for 24 months and OUTLAW and bring a person to military court for defying his right to choose not to become a soldier, is that not against basic freedoms?
- This concept of making military service compulsory HURTS a person's freedom and makes him subject to COMPULSORY service.
- This impairs their economic ability.
- There are 52 weeks in a year. 2 weeks out of 52 weeks is approximately 4%.
- Losing 4% of your time per year to something you are FORCED to do HURTS ECONOMICALLY AND FINANCIALLY.
- Their youths dwindle in confined barracks.
5. National Service and military duties further cause Singapore's fertility rate to decrease.
- If you keep a person in military camp for 2 years of his life, the chances are that he starts a family or makes babies is dashed for those 2 years.